Thursday, March 24, 2011

Great Balls Of...Lightning!

This is actually part two of the sugar snow blog, but since I was too tired to write more before, here goes.

Ahhh, a wonderful warm reprieve today complete with actual sunshine--I know, it's almost too much to comprehend after the oppressive low pressure blanket of yucky overcast gloom lately.  I don't think I'm the only one giddy with the spring "tease" again that we're having.  Today as I venture out on slushy roads, I find that everyone, it seems, is coming out of the woodwork.  We all smile at each other knowingly, as if we're co-survivors of yet another freak-of-nature incident, but thankful that it's over, and it could have been so much worse.  Only two days out from the Great Balls of Lightning...

I say "great" because A) I'm a science/nature geek, and 2) I'm easily amused by simple things.  I mean, Bill Nye is one of my heroes, sort of, and if I would have known him personally in high school, who knows how my destiny would have been forever altered...Anyway, Bill himself would tell you that there actually is such a thing as ball lightning, which is what I saw during this blizzard.  Apparently, this is a form of lightning that occurs when electrically charged particles fall to the ground, roll until they reach a solid object, then discharge with an explosive, but relatively non-dangerous flash of light.  My own dear grandmother told me long ago of such lightning rolling through her house through one window and out the other, and I have witnessed it myself maybe once before, but never in a snowstorm.  Yep, card-carrying science nerd here...

I had to go to my ancient encyclopedias (circa 1960's)--I know, geek again!--and verify that what I really witnessed was a scientifically valid event and not just a subliminal suggestion previously placed in my mind from my precious late grandmother.  Yes, and in the 1960's, though not fully understood, it was even documented with (black-and-white) photos.  Good enough for me!  Anybody else out there in the blogosphere witness ball lightning?  I'm considering forming a "meeting of the minds", a summit, of we privileged few who have witnessed the elusive wonder called (unimaginatively, I think, anyway) ball lightning, perhaps to give it a more sensationalistic name fitting such a wonder of the cosmos.  Okay, now you're thinking this is a dork gone to seed, for sure!  All right, settle down, everyone...it's probably not going to happen in my lifetime, but mark my words, someone will come along some day and give it a REALLY cool scientific name, not dumb old ball lightning.

So, now that you've been convinced that it really does exist (it does, HONEST!), I wonder how many folks reading this will actually go do a little research on their own?  I hope so!  God has made the simple things to confound the wise, and I'm convinced He actually delights in giving us even simple things like Great Balls Of Lightning to make us wonder what else in His creation we have yet to discover.  Never stop being curious, but along the way, don't forget to stop and thank the One who made it all possible.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment