Monday, March 14, 2011

Faithful Friend

I'm looking now at the picture of our family dog, Jed, who is a three-year-old purebred border collie and remembering his puppy days, which have so quickly evaporated like smoke on the cold March wind.  This morning as I venture outside, I find what the weather forecasters had predicted.  This time they were telling the truth:  warm, sunny, chilly wind, but no snow or ice!  Finally!  Still bracing for the cold I've been dressing for all this long winter, I open the door to spring just peeking around the corner of an old, bold enemy:  winter.  And this brings me back to Jed, my walking-to-the-mailbox buddy and faithful furry friend.  

I find it amusing as I walk out the door with letters in hand en route to the mailbox, that Jed and our three cats automatically run to their feeding spot under the lean-to of our shop.  Evidently I have habituated them to think that every time I walk out the door, it's either to feed them or to get in the van to go run errands.  I say evidently, because Jed and the cats first go to their food dishes, and when I don't head in that direction, the cats just saunter away, unamused, but Jed goes next to the van or whichever vehicle that he thinks I will be getting into, ready to do his "job" of chasing me down the driveway, turning two or three circles at the end of the driveway, then off to the left or right to chase along our property line faster than the my van will take me.

Of course, he has a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong as to which direction he leads, but he makes up for lost time by doubling back at breakneck speed, then finally dropping back, just for the sport of it all.  This time, though, he gets to follow me, instead of one of my kids, to the mailbox, and I can almost hear his little doggy brain saying "I wonder what she's doing, not getting in the van so I can do my chase game, my one main reason to live, and even better than eating doggie kibbles?"  At least, that's what I think he's thinking.  

I know for a fact that dogs have very simple mind-sets.  I learned this from the "Far Side" comic, which I highly admire and am easily amused by.  You know, the one where the dog is listening to his master saying "Come here, Ginger.  Sit down, Ginger.  Roll over, Ginger", or something like that, and the bottom half of the cartoon shows the same benign dog with the same benign master, thinking the dog understands, and what the dog really hears is "Blah, blah, blah, Ginger..."--so ridiculously true!  So I've learned that my actions mean more to Jed than words...hmmmm, maybe there's a good lesson in there for all of us?  I'd like to think that it's simple enough for my dog to understand, but he is teaching me far more about human nature just by being himself, so maybe he's not so simple-minded after all.  God uses the simple things to confound the wise, and so I am thankful for my Faithful Friend.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment